[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

jeff stern jas at uci.edu
Tue Aug 30 20:56:48 UTC 2005

Peter C. Norton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:41:07PM -0700, jeff stern wrote:
>
>>but this is exactly the problem. the .spec file never said that the
>>php-interbase sub-package *requires* libgds.so.. but it generated it
>>anyway as a 'requires'.. so apparently, rpm's automatic
>>dependency-checking *does* check things that are not in rpms..?
>

> It does, but it doesn't touch that library. When your system has a
> library that a file in your package requires it'll get found and
> listed as a dependancy unless you tailor your dependancies manually or
> semi-manually.
>
> When rpmbuild does its auto dependancy solving on binaries, it is just
> running "ldd" to find out what libraries all of the executeables in
> the package needs.

okay, thanks, this is what i figured. but then it just leads back to my
original question: why can't rpm -i php-interbase find libgds.so, when
in fact, libgds.so IS on my system (since it's the same system i
actually compiled the php-interbase rpm on in the first place)?

# rpm -ivh php-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm php-pear-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm
php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         libgds.so is needed by php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686
and
# ldconfig -v
/opt/interbase/lib:
         libibxml.so -> libibxml.so