[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:33:37 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, jeff stern <jas at uci.edu> wrote:
> > Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >
> >> Stuff from tarballs is *never* considered by rpm (and any software
> >> using rpm to resolve dependencies, like yum).
>
> hmm.. well, then, on second thought, that leads me to another question..
>
> as i said earlier, i can install the interbase drivers via rpm or via
> tarball. in earlier email, i responded for the case where they are
> installed via rpm.
>
> but if the interbase driver (libgds.so) is installed via tarball, then,
> when i query the php-interbase rpm package for what it requires:
>
>    rpm -qp --requires php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm
>
> then, if what you say is correct -- that rpm never considers any
> dependencies which are not in another rpm package -- then why does rpm
> return 'libgds.so' as one of its required dependencies, when 'libgds.so'
> is not from any rpm (again, this is when i have the interbase drivers
> installed via tarball, not from rpm)..?

> # rpm -qp --requires php-interbase-5.0.4-10.4.i686.rpm
> config(php-interbase) = 5.0.4-10.4
> grep
> libc.so.6
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
> libgds.so                                <=========
> perl
> php = 5.0.4-10.4
> rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
> rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
> # _
>
> and yet

> # rpm -q --whatprovides libgds.so
> no package provides libgds.so
> # _
>
> ???

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this makes complete sense to me
as it was laid out.

RPM (and therefore yum) don't have any idea about software installed
outside of their world, so they don't know of any packages that
provide libgds.so.  They do know what the requirements of an RPM
package are, so when you ask what php-interbase package requires it
can tell you exactly what it requires.

Like I said, I'm not super sure on this so maybe I'm missing some
nuance of the outputs you showed us.

Greg