[Yum] yum install using auto-dependency checking???

jeff stern jas at uci.edu
Tue Aug 30 15:47:36 UTC 2005

Jim Perrin wrote:

> Yum does dependency checking of its own, which is a good thing in this
> case, because technically with your rpms, I don't have to have
> interbase installed to use php-interbase, which will quite possibly
> lead to breakage.

yes, exactly, and for that reason i would like to take my "AutoReq: 0"
back out of the spec file, so that if one doesn't have interbase
installed, then php-interbase won't install.

however, the problem is that i DO have interbase installed. in fact, i
am trying to install the php-interbase on the very system i BUILT
php-interbase on! and you can't build php-interbase without the
libgds.so installed.

for some reason, neither yum's, nor rpm's auto-dependency checking can
detect that libgds.so is on the system (regardless of whether the
libgds.so is there from rpm or from tarball).

would this help? when i do the following (with the older/7.1
InterBaseC_LI-V7.1.0-1.i386.rpm installed),

   ldconfig -v

then i get back:

         libgds.so.0 -> libgds.so.0

i do notice that it shows the .so.0 version, but does not show the .so
version, which is a symlink. i.e., shouldn't it also show:

         libgds.so -> libgds.so.0

?

so i check the directory:

# ls -l libgds.so*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     11 Aug 30 07:59 libgds.so -> libgds.so.0*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 413571 Oct  8  2003 libgds.so.0*

so the symlink is there, but it's not seen by the dynamic linker. why?
other symlinked libraries ARE seen by the dynamic linker.. e.g.,

         liboctave.so -> liboctave.so.2.1.71

would this inability of the dynamic linker to see/list the .so version
have anything to do with the problems rpm's and yum's auto-dependency
checkers have, seeing libgds.so?