[Yum] [followup] avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Aug 23 18:00:24 UTC 2005

seth vidal writes:

> I understand what you're trying to do. The problem is with the globs.
>
> yum install foo*
>
> Does that mean anything named foo* but only the basearch?
> or
> Does that mean ANYTHING named foo* in any arch that can be installed.

One would think that foo* would mean only the basearch, and foo*.* would
mean anything in any arch that can be installed, but of course then you
could get in trouble with packages named something like foo.bar.i386.
or even more trouble with control_cpu.i386.i386, if anybody is
crazy/stupid enough to use an arch specifier string in a package name.

One solution that is rigorous is to use discriminate regular expressions
instead of indiscriminate globs.  Then only Unix Gods will be able to do
the slick stuff without a manual and/or examples of usage in hand, but
you can make it do Anything, if your IQ is 177 or so and you don't mind
typing stuff like foo.\*\(.x86_64\).

Another solution is to just not permit globs of the arch field, but
permit one to enter foo*.i386 and foo*.x86_64 on the same line.  After
all, how many archs are we talking about, here?  Two?  Conceivably,
barely, three?

I personally like regular expressions if they are easy to code into
python as a drop-in replacement for globs, but they WILL require an
Examples section in the man page.

    rgb