[Yum] Re: avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Aug 23 14:17:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 01:33 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:

> > > Not for loooooooooong. :)
> >
> > Care to elaborate??
>
> it's not news. Yum is being used as the depresolution,etc backend for
> anaconda.
> planned for fc5.

Yes I knew that, I just forgot. :-(

> > No it is not!! At least not to me. Would you please explain what the rules
> > for determining which arch get installed, are?? If there are i386 and x86_64
> > packages in the repo, do they both always get installed?? How does one decide
> > if there should be one arch or both installed?
>
> That's what I'm saying.
>
> yum's current default behavior for multilib is install all possible
> packages in every case.
>
> so for packages available for both i386 and x86_64 on an x86_64 it will
> install both, if possible.

So is the decision to build both based strictly on whether or not there are
legacy programs you need to run or are there other considerations?

> I think that's much more consistent than the alternative Christopher was
> trying to patch in.

Hummm, looking at the other responses on the list, the "right answer" seems to
be difficult to find but it would seem that installing both will get you
the most functionality.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com