[Yum] Re: avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Aug 23 07:37:04 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote :

> yum's current default behavior for multilib is install all possible
> packages in every case.
>
> so for packages available for both i386 and x86_64 on an x86_64 it will
> install both, if possible.

No it isn't : That's the behavior _only_ when the package is explicitly
requested.

For instance if foo is available only for x86_64 and requires glibc :

yum install foo -> Will install foo.x86_64

Whereas :

yum install foo glibc -> Will also install glibc.i386 if it wasn't
installed

For me, this is even less obvious than all the other scenarios you've
mentioned. And sometimes, it is a problem to have i386 packages installed
on x86_64, which the excludes in mock illustrate perfectly.

I'd really prefer having a behavior closer to what Christopher was trying
to do, as the reason for having i386 packages on x86_64 is mostly because
of broken software (OpenOffice) or proprietary software (web browser
plugins), which aren't good reasons in the first place. So keeping them
out except when explicitly requested (i.e. *.i386) is what I'd prefer.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 0.08 0.20 0.17