[Yum] package ordering instructions?

Peter C. Norton spacey-yum at lenin.net
Sun Aug 14 23:39:22 UTC 2005

I've found that sometimes when I have dependancies, rpm doesn't dtrt
with a long list of packages.

So if I have a package that depends on a perl module being installed,
rpm by itself will happily disable dependancy checking and then
install everything at once, perhaps in alphabetical order.

Will yum do the right thing, and ensure that packages are installed
and configured in a sane order?

I understand that there can be issues here, such as dependancy loops,
that packagers need to be made aware of the dependancies in their
packages and work around it there, etc. to be in the ideal situation,
but where there aren't these complexities, is this situation taken
care of in yum through some mechanism?

Even if that mechanism is some kind of manual hint in the creation of
the repository it would help my ability to deploy yum.

Thanks for any clarification,

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.