[Yum] yum improvement

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 12 20:11:57 UTC 2005

Ian MacGregor writes:

> If yum fails to get repo data from the first repo, yum should just skip
> over that repo and get the data from the other repos I have enabled and
> then try the skipped repos again. If it worked on the second try, it can
> work on the first try. There should be an option to tell yum "do not
> stop trying until you have recieved all data from all repos".
>
> I hope that this can be done and I would be willing to help in any way I
> can.

This actually happens pretty often, usually when e.g. livna or freshrpms
are in your repo list.  They get hammered and are sometimes busy enough
to refuse connections or time out, at which point things fail.

A "better" solution at this point is to consider setting up your own
mirror or finding a mirror of these sites that you can add to a fallback
list.  In fact, you may be able to force pretty much the same thing by
simply adding duplicate lines to the baseurl so that it falls back on
itself a few times before quitting.

Adding a loop-forever hammering on the repos would be a nightmare,
though.  If they ever went down, even for a minute, they might never be
able to come back up again with all the queued access requests hammering
away.  Much better to be able to fail and really "try again later".

   rgb