[Yum] yum improvement

Ian MacGregor ianmac7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:34:56 UTC 2005

Hi,
  I love yum and could not function without it.
However, I have an idea that would improve yum.

Please consider the following:
I ran yum check-update at 12:04 pm and got the following..

[root@~]# yum check-update
Setting up repositories
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extras
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from extras: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
try.
[root@~]#

Something went wrong and yum could not continue. So, I ran it again at
12:09 pm and got the following..

[root@~]# yum check-update
Setting up repositories
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
livna                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 557 kB    00:03
extras    : ################################################## 1584/1584
Added 15 new packages, deleted 0 old in 2.57 seconds
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 109 kB    00:01
livna     : ################################################## 333/333
Added 3 new packages, deleted 0 old in 0.47 seconds
[root@~]#
This time it worked, and if it worked the second time, it could have
worked the first time if yum didn't simply give up.

Although I am not a coder, I am submitting this improvement so that you
can make yum better than it already is. Please consider the following
improvement:

If yum fails to get repo data from the first repo, yum should just skip
over that repo and get the data from the other repos I have enabled and
then try the skipped repos again. If it worked on the second try, it can
work on the first try. There should be an option to tell yum "do not
stop trying until you have recieved all data from all repos".

I hope that this can be done and I would be willing to help in any way I
can.

Thank you,
Ian MacGregor