[Yum] (no subject)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Fri Aug 12 17:04:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 09:14 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> One suggestion (for the FC4-based linux at duke but also for other people
> running FC4 repo mirrors plus local extensions).  At least some
> repositories, notably livna (which religiously goes on top of FC4
> base+updates+extras and is apparently maintained by a lot of the FC
> developers to provide a channel for those otherwise patent-encumbered
> packages that we often need and that are actually legal for us to use,
> but that RH cannot safely support in the distro itself) provide a lovely
> rpm that basically contains their repo entry:
>
>   livna-release-4-0.lvn.2.4.noarch.rpm
>
> Installing this rpm instantly enables yum to access e.g. nvidia and ATI
> drivers all RPM packaged and ready to go and updated per FC kernel,
> xmms-mp3, and other tidbits.  My suggestion is that this (and perhaps
> others like it) is an excellent candidate for e.g. add-ons/duke (or
> equivalent elsewhere).  So that one can go:
>
>   yum install livna-release-4

The problem is that since the repos contain packages that for some legal
reason can't be in the distro directly, the distro also can't have any
direct link/connection to said repos. So then you'd need to install a
package to add the repo that has the repo packages in it.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/