[Yum] Using yum to create a seperate installation on a file system

marian szczepkowski marian at jozep.com.au
Fri Aug 5 14:10:43 UTC 2005

Hi

I am trying to use yum to install to a file system without having yum
install all the repo and cache data on the destination filesystem. The
installroot directive appeared to be what I was after, but all fails,
and the following is what I get,
[root at cherafir ~]# yum -c /root/yumstuff/yum.conf install yum
Yum Version: 2.2.1
COMMAND: yum -c /root/yumstuff/yum.conf install yum
Installroot: /root/mnt
Ext Commands:
   yum
Setting up Install Process
Setting up Repos
No Repositories Available to Set Up

My yum.conf looks like this, and I have placed a known working set of
repo's in the yumstuff directory
[main]
cachedir=/root/yumstuff
debuglevel=10