[Yum] Scripting Yum

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Aug 4 20:24:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 16:18 -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Thursday, 04 August 2005, at 15:24:34 (-0400),
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> > > rpm -qa | grep ^perl- | xargs rpm -ql | xargs grep -l ^#!/usr/bin/perl | xargs
> > > perl -c
> >
> > yes. And it's prone to breaking.
>
> Bullshit.  The semantics of "rpm -qa" haven't changed in ages, and if
> you're aware of some magical transformation of grep and/or xargs
> syntax in the past decade, I'd love to know about it.

rpm -qa is prone to breaking if only b/c of the multiarch packages.

can you tell the difference b/t the kernels that way?

> Or handing back XML or some other well-defined structured format.
okay, That's more an api than a screen output is.

> > And it would be a bear to maintain simply so we could be locked down
> > to that format, forever. No thank you.
>
> skvidal, meet XML.  XML, this is skvidal.
>

> Your bigotry is showing here, Seth.  C is anything but unfun.  (You
> see, some people actually like a challenge.)  And Python is not easy
> for everyone to write in.

okay... and?

I'm not concerned with bigotry - I'm concerned with having to maintain
the code in the project I run.

> Not everyone likes Python or wants to write Python.

that's fine - but I do.

your antagonistic tone in this email is not appreciated. Please try to
relax.