[Yum] Scripting Yum

Michael Jennings mej at caosity.org
Thu Aug 4 20:18:22 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 04 August 2005, at 15:24:34 (-0400),
seth vidal wrote:

> > rpm -qa | grep ^perl- | xargs rpm -ql | xargs grep -l ^#!/usr/bin/perl | xargs
> > perl -c
>
> yes. And it's prone to breaking.

Bullshit.  The semantics of "rpm -qa" haven't changed in ages, and if
you're aware of some magical transformation of grep and/or xargs
syntax in the past decade, I'd love to know about it.

> Handing back data structures against known modules is less likely to
> fall apart.

Or handing back XML or some other well-defined structured format.

> And it would be a bear to maintain simply so we could be locked down
> to that format, forever. No thank you.

skvidal, meet XML.  XML, this is skvidal.

> It's a question of ease of programming. C is unfun to write in and
> to deal with all the memory issues. Python is easy to write in and
> the yum modules aren't hard to use.

Your bigotry is showing here, Seth.  C is anything but unfun.  (You
see, some people actually like a challenge.)  And Python is not easy
for everyone to write in.

> Seriously, if you think going down the path to program in python in
> order to produce a scriptable interface to yum - just write the
> program you're after in python using the yum modules.

Not everyone likes Python or wants to write Python.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>