[Yum] Caching yum data for multiple machines.

Adam Lelean (bean) alelean at papermule.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 11:48:19 UTC 2005

I am in an office with multiple machines all wanting updates from
various yum repositories, is there some way to cache data so that
all machines could use the cache.

I could change the cachedir to make it available to all machines,
but am concerned it may not be safe if 2 machines both tried to
access the cache simultaneously.

I could use a proxy server, but each repository has multiple URLs
in the baseurl, and the multiple URLs will defeat the cache in
the proxy server. I could remove some of the URLs from the
baseurl, but then may have problems with availability.

I am reluctant to mirror the repositories, since only a small
number of rpm's are required from each repository, and I don't
want to hold extra data unnecessarily.

Is there some standard way to do this ?, sorry if this is a FAQ,
but I did check  the FAQ first.

Thanks in advance
Adam Lelean