[Yum] how to ignore certain rpm while "yum update"

Ken Chilton ken at chiltonfamily.org
Thu Apr 7 23:32:40 UTC 2005

That is a simple one (to be confirmed by the observation that I can
answer it).

In yum.conf, within the "[main]" section (I place this last) put:
exclude=/package-/*

where "/package/" is the name of the package you wish to exclude from
update.  For example, I exclude groff from updates via:
exclude=groff-*

Now /yum update/ skips the groff updates (with a message to indicate the
existance of the global exclude).

OK?  Hope this helps!