[Yum] Re: more chickens - but which egg?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Apr 4 02:26:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 07:08:33PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
> Hello Seth,
>
> A thing I have a work around for may be of interest to you anyway.
>
> I have several projects I need fast installs for. I have a number of
> work machines and nothing lasting can be present on them.
> So I start from scratch and install minimum FC3 on the PCs and minimum
> YDL on the briQs (they are PPC)
>
> And then I have a number of repositories which provides the remaining
> stuff. Works great.
> BUT
> I realized that one of the reasons I do that is a feature that is
> missing in yum. Depending of course upon the assumption that yum is
> supposed to be of maximum adaptability.
>
> The example project is myth-tv using the repository at atrpms.
>
> Now if you install minimum FC3 and set up yum for FC3 updates and the
> atrpms repository and issue an update command, then it will fail.
> The reason for that is that atrpms contains multiple " wild" updates to
> packages which will be targeted for updating.
> But it can not be resolved.

No, that's not the reason. ATrpms triggered some bugs in yum, there
are good outlines in bugzilla at redhat/yum/atrpms and a lengthy post
at fedora-devel. Some of these bug even triggered on some Red Hat
updates. The good news is that most of the bugs, if not all have been
resolved in latest yum versions.

So your best way forward is to install your bare yum, issue an update
for yum only and then go forward with updating the system and adding
more packages through yum.