[Yum] more chickens - but which egg?

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Mon Apr 4 02:08:33 UTC 2005

Hello Seth,

A thing I have a work around for may be of interest to you anyway.

I have several projects I need fast installs for. I have a number of
work machines and nothing lasting can be present on them.
So I start from scratch and install minimum FC3 on the PCs and minimum
YDL on the briQs (they are PPC)

And then I have a number of repositories which provides the remaining
stuff. Works great.
BUT
I realized that one of the reasons I do that is a feature that is
missing in yum. Depending of course upon the assumption that yum is
supposed to be of maximum adaptability.

The example project is myth-tv using the repository at atrpms.

Now if you install minimum FC3 and set up yum for FC3 updates and the
atrpms repository and issue an update command, then it will fail.
The reason for that is that atrpms contains multiple " wild" updates to
packages which will be targeted for updating.
But it can not be resolved.

I think (meaning - how would I know) it is caused by that yum sees a
package selected for update and then finds a never package both in the
redhat and the atrpms repository. The atrpms package is a newer version
but can not be resolved because it requires other newer packages not
available anywhere in these repositories. But the redhat repository
package is still newer than the currently installed and would satisfy
the update requirements.

So it is like an update-deep where you consider multiple newer packages
- not just the newest one.

My work around is of course to disable the atrpms - do the update -
enable the atrpms - install the projects - move the packages to my
local repositories and forget about it until the next time around when
I do a deep update.

Karsten