[Yum] a-b-c

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Mon Apr 4 01:53:24 UTC 2005

> why not have an update for yum in the mix that will resolve the
> requirement on B(old)?

He he - that was exactly my problem.
I was trying to update from YDL 3.1 to YDL4.0.
Yum returned  with the error that dependencies for yum couldn't be
resolved. It needed libxml2 in a newer edition which wasn't available.
This was caused by that I was faster to implement the use of yum than
YD was.
Soooooo........
I thought - ok - let us recompile libxml2 to make it compatible to the
newer yum. Only - t do so you basically have to install perl
and...and....and...
basically YDL 4.0.
So I ended there  - it was not possible to update yum when the running
yum required the old libxml2 and the new yum required the new libxml2
and the new libxml2 required YDL 4.0.

The chicken and the egg,

Karsten

ohh - I got another one for you - but that is another email......