[Yum] concern

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:29:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 13:25 -0800, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
> Hello Seth,
>
> Since you changed to using xml (which i don't mind)  I see one problem.
> You are now dependent of the xml library and its dependencies.
> In my opinion that is a severe limitation in the case where you will
> attempt to update from one distribution to the next ( ex. YDL3.x to YDL
> 4.x )
>
> I am aware of the problems but it really would be nice t keep the
> dependencies to a minimum on the update function in an environment.

anaconda depends on them, too.

and yum 2.0.X required libxml2 for the groups parsing before.

it's not new and if we don't do this then we either have to:
 - write our own xml parser - fat chance
 - do without the xml - that ship has sailed. the xml has been in use
for quite some time while and we're not going back to headers.