[Yum] Progressive updating

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 23:09:28 UTC 2004

  Why this is badly needed:

automake 100 % done 116/477
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/Channels.pm;41535548: cpio: write
authconfig 100 % done 117/477
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/authconfigmodule.so;41535548: cpio: write
Segmentation fault
[root at localhost ~]# df
/dev/hda7              5039560   5039560         0 100% /

  We should never have 500 packages single transaction, nor the 500MB
/var space used for said packages needed by that transaction.
I'm sure this 500 package transaction could have been replaced by hundred
of smaller transactions where:
   - the amount of disk space required is smaller
   - the risk of damage due to a failing transaction is limited
   - current transaction and download of the next packages could be
     parallelized

 Agreed, I didn't put code on the table, just the ideas so far.

Daniel