[Yum] Firewall options

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 20:20:28 UTC 2004

Good afternoon, Kevin

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Bridges, Kevin wrote:

> Is there a way to set firewall options in the yum.conf file.  I am behind a
> firewall and wanting to update 2 linux servers.

	If you have a proxy available, you can instruct yum (and other
ftp/http downloaders) to use it by setting the following in the
.bash_profile of the user that runs yum (generally root):

export http_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128/"
export https_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128/"
export ftp_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128/"
export gopher_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128/"

	Replace 127.0.0.1:3128 with the IP address:port of your http/ftp
proxy.  Exit your shell and log back in, then any future commands run from
the shell will use that proxy.
	If you don't have a proxy, you can always take whatever steps are
appropriate to download the repositories you want to a machine behind the
firewall and then tell your clients to get the files from there.   Both
approaches save bandwidth (assuming your proxy will perform caching, and
squid does).
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "There is no beautifier of complexion or form of behavior like
the wish to scatter joy, and not pain, around us."
        -- Raph Waldo Emerson