[Yum] Yum source rpm download

fredn1 at gmx.de fredn1 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 22 16:35:46 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 17:10, seth vidal wrote:
> > I get an error trying to install it if the binary is already installed,
> > since yum/rpm sees the installed version and refuses to install the srpm,
> > thinking it already installed. ...
>
> rpm doesn't track installed source rpms anywhere - so I'm not sure where
> you get this error from.
>
> Remember users can install source rpms, too.

It can only be that rpm is comparing the version of the srpm as if it was
the binary it produces - this is *only* a preliminary hack.

> > At the moment I'm simply treating xxx.src like it's a new architechture
> > (simlar to xxx.i386, xxx.i585, ...), and it's still very much a quick and
> > dirty solution just to get started.
>
> don't do that. That's ugly and confusing to new users.

I didn't intend to. ;-)

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 18:02, Michael Stenner wrote:
> This will have the added benefit of easing development.  You two will
> probably end up working in entirely different files most of the time.
> If you find that many changes are necessary in the libs, then perhaps
> the libs needed to be more general anyway :)

Makes sense. Ok, now to aquaint myself with 2.1.X, and get on with
learning Python.

I'll post again when I have something worthwhile, or if I run into problems
I think you'll be able to help with. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Fred.