[Yum] --installroot question

Andrew Schwerin schwerin at cs.washington.edu
Mon Sep 20 02:04:14 UTC 2004

I am using yum's --installroot option to maintain a computing cluster,
and I've noticed that when run with --installroot, yum puts a bunch of
RPM database files in the --installroot-specified directory.  It seems
to me that the correct location is actually
<--installroot>/var/lib/rpm.  Has the current behavior been chosen for
a particular reason, and can it be modified by command line options?

If not, I will put together a patch to get the behavior I'm looking for
and offer it up.  I'm thinking that the most flexible option is to have
option --rpmdbdir, and to use that for yum's rpm database transactions.

Thoughts?

-Andy Schwerin
Univeristy of Washington, Computer Science & Eng.