[Yum] Re: Yum update conflicts

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 13:16:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 09:00 -0400, Christian Cryder wrote:
> Seth, I'm not sure if you saw my email from last night (below). Someone
> on the fedora list said I need to revert to yum 2.0.7 (since that's stable).

You probably have a copy of yum-2.0.7 or something on your system
already in the yum package cache.  Try doing

	locate -r 'yum-.*\.rpm'

If that returns an appropriate rpm name then try

	rpm -Uvh --oldpackage <rpm from above>

Alternatively go to your most convenient Fedora mirror, find the yum
package rpm - under something line
fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/ - download it and put it in
place using rpm as above.

> Basically I'm seeking more info on how yum works so that I can actually
> understand how to troubleshoot problems I encounter (rather than just
> mindlessly typing commands)

Your big problem here is that you are playing in the uncharted waters of
the development set for Fedora - if you do that then things are pretty
much guarenteed to break frequently.  The real reason for your problem
is here...
> >   #[development]
> >   name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> >   baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
> >     development/$basearch/

In the default distributed yum.conf that stanza is commented out
entirely.  In your config file the first line of the stanza is
commented, but the rest of the stanza is intact, so the name/baseurl etc
have been attached to the previous yum repository you have enabled.

If you do not intend to be running development - with the dangers that
entails - then you should completely comment those lines (and probably
the stanza above in your config too.  If you do want development then
uncomment that first line too.  In this case you need to stop using the
earlier repositories since yum won't handle those in the new version.

	Nigel.