[Yum] Re: Yum update conflicts

Christian Cryder christianc at granitepeaks.com
Thu Sep 9 00:15:29 UTC 2004

Christian Cryder wrote:

> Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 17:27, Christian Cryder wrote:
>> Hi, I am using Fedora Core2, kernel-2.6.8-1.521.
>>
>> Today I did a "yum check-update" and then a "yum update". I got the
>> following error message:
>>
>>      conflict between xorg-x11-font-utils xorg-x11-base-fonts
>>
>> Can someone offer some indication of what I need to to do to resolve
>> this? I did find an obscure reference to something about this (I think)
>> here:
>>
>>      http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/fedorapeople/
>>
>> (Look down in the xorg-x11-6.7.99.903-5 section, comments by Mike Harris
>> dated Aug 31, 2004).
>>
>> I guess what I'm asking for is more information on how to proceed when
>> yum encounters a conflict.
>
> you should  ask this on the fedora-devel-list - not on yum-lsit.

Sorry about that. I'm new to both yum and linux and still in the process
of figuring out what to ask where. I think my followup question DOES
pertain to yum...

> yum --obsoletes update
>
> will fix it, though, using yum 2.1.3

Ok, so I did "yum update yum" and got 2.1.3. Cool. Now, however, when I
run any yum command (eg. yum info yum) I get the following error:

   Setting up Repo:  base
   repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
   Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
   failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
   try.

I'm not sure what to try next here. My yum.conf looks standard (to my eyes):

   [main]
   cachedir=/var/cache/yum
   debuglevel=2
   logfile=/var/log/yum.log
   pkgpolicy=newest
   distroverpkg=redhat-release
   tolerant=1
   exactarch=1
   retries=20

   [base]
   name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
   baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core
     /$releasever/$basearch/os/

   [updates-released]
   name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
   baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
     updates/$releasever/$basearch/

   #[updates-testing]
   name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
   baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
     updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/

   #[development]
   name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
   baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
     development/$basearch/

Is there some other file I need to configure somewhere?

I've tried searching the web for more info on this and I'm unfortunately
drawing a blank. Also, I don't find anything on --obsolete in the man
docs (where should I be looking to research this stuff???) What exactly
does --obsolete do?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian