[Yum] Re: mirror maintenance

Sanjay Arora smailbox at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 8 11:29:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 04:09, Rick Graves wrote:
>  The reality out there
> is that some administrators deal with the security
> patch problem by never applying them.  (Try telling
> them they must maintain their own mirror!)

Its true...thats the norm for many sysadmins, but then maintaining a
mirror would be a necessity for many due to bandwidth reasons. Linux is
increasingly being deployed in developing countries and bandwidth is
real scarce here.

I believe that a mirroring program, separate from yum is a must...it may
even be deployed with a central repository with dual interface, one for
all available patches and second for ones approved after testing.

I believe sourceforge hosts a mirror creating program for apt...no
reason there should be none for yum. In fact, I was planning to try out
apt simply for the reason that mirroring programs/howtos are in greater
availability for apt...though I like yum very much.

Simply because some admins would not be willing to deploy mirrors
locally is no reason not to create the resource. Many sys-admins dont
implement much of security either...no reason we should do the same.

IAC, local mirrors, for large/medium networks would take a load off
already overloaded public mirrors.

With best regards.
Sanjay.