[Yum] Re: mirror maintenance

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 8 02:16:50 UTC 2004

> I haven't talked with Seth about this yet, but I'm pretty confident
> your proposal isn't going to get into yum for the reasons I've just
> described.  It's already hard enough to manage dependancies over
> multiple repos.  Throwing in intentional delays on the client,
> possibly with a secondary database (the rpmdb being the primary), just
> makes things even more nuts.

I agree with michael, and we've seen from other mirror maintenance that
a time delay will not really save you from problem-child packages.

the things that saves you from problem-child packages and broken
repositories is testing and verifying installations in sets.

no other way around it.
If you've got lots of systems to admin then sacrifice one for test
cases. You have to do that anyway.