[Yum] Re: yum] Upgrade RHAS2.1 to 3ES with yum?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Sep 6 19:07:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Mike Kercher wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade a remote box from RHAS2.1 to RHES3 with yum and
> keep running into all sorts of dependency problems.  Has anyone
> attempted and/or been successful doing this?  I have mounted all of
> the .iso's and copied the RPMs to a directory and created a local
> repository.  rpm -Fvh or -Uvh fails also.

yes -- several times -- The best advice I can offer is:

Take backups
Remove conflicting packages as possible
Do a piecewise upgrade of the kernel, glibc and rpm first
Then do the rest.

see generally:
  http://www.owlriver.com/projects/yum/
and
  http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/
(this latter path is a 'harder' path than RHAS21 to RHEL3)

-- Russ Herrold