[Yum] about the urlgrabber

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon Sep 6 18:00:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 04:28:19PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Before calling this a bug I wondered if yum is expected to handle this
> style of url.  It is the kind one might use to login by ftp to an
> account requiring a uid and passwd.  Should this URL work for a
> baseurl?
>
>  ftp://reader:xxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw
>  (passwd obfuscated for mail)

Yes.  This should work for both ftp and http in yum 2.1.X (possibly
earlier, but I don't remember).

> It doesn't work with a standard ftp client, but I think yum does'nt
> rely on that.

Correct.

> I'm a little gun shy about calling this a yum problem.
> Any one here know if the above schemes should have worked?

I very much doubt that this is a problem with your username/password
syntax.  I've just tested that locally and it seems to work fine for
me.  Also, the error you're getting is about changing directory.  The
way ftplib does things is a bit stupid, so it might be a problem in
there.  Do a couple things for me.

1) test it with urlgrabber directly.  Run "python" from the command
   line and then type in these commands:

>>> from urlgrabber.grabber import URLGrabber
>>> g = URLGrabber()
>>> g.urlgrab('ftp://username:passowrd@server.com/path/to/file')

   See what happens with that.  I expect you to get the same
   exception, although probably less pretty than yum makes it.

2) Try your url with another client.  I know the same syntax won't
   work, so remove the username:password part and just enter them the way
   that client expects you to.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G