[Yum] about the urlgrabber

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Sep 5 21:28:19 UTC 2004

Before calling this a bug I wondered if yum is expected to handle this
style of url.  It is the kind one might use to login by ftp to an
account requiring a uid and passwd.  Should this URL work for a
baseurl?

 ftp://reader:xxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw
 (passwd obfuscated for mail)

Where that address is the desired repo.

It doesn't work with a standard ftp client, but I think yum does'nt
rely on that.

This particular server is linux running Fedora core 3 test 1 and
vsftpd.

My tests show these results (failures).  Both times its an ftp error
so hard to tell how much yum relies on ftp protocol, because the
address itself is not a valid ftp URL... I don't think.

  In this scheme:
 ftp://reader:xxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw
  (password obfuscated for mailing)
`fedraw' is actually a symlink to /mnt/pack/fedraw (Which is also
chowned reader:reader)

But I see from yum output that the address worked or at least the
address was seen correctly:

   yum list updates
  Yum Version: 2.1.3
  COMMAND: yum list updates
  Installroot: /
  Reading Local RPMDB
  Setting up Repo:  development
  Baseurl(s) for repo: ['ftp://reader:xxxxx7@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw']
  repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: development
  [...]

So I thought maybe it was because of the symlink
But..
This scheme:
   ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/mnt/pack/fedraw

Gets the same ftp error.

  Baseurl(s) for repo: ['ftp://reader:xxxxxx@reader.local.net0/mnt/pack/fedraw']
  repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
  Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: development
  failure: repodata/repomd.xml from development: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to tr

I'm a little gun shy about calling this a yum problem.
Any one here know if the above schemes should have worked?