[Yum] Yum service hangs

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 1 19:24:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 12:13:07PM -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:
> In my case, my network is connected via a PPP dialup connection.  As long
> as the pppd is running, my system doesn't receive ICMP messages about the
> lack of a connection (pppd queues packets until a connection is made).
> Whenever I reconnect, my ISP gives me a new IP address.
>
> Whenever the dialup connection drops, yum transfers end up hanging,
> sometimes for hours until I interrupt them.
>
> This is why I added the wget option to my copy of yum.  Wget works around
> the problems I have with downloading.

I see.  That's an icky problem.  Do you know how wget deals with it?
Does it just have some sort of high-level timeout?  (ie, not tcp
timeouts, but its own)

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G