[Yum] Yum service hangs

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 1 16:16:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:29:37AM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 01 September 2004, at 11:15:59 (-0400),
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> > unless your repos are REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY slow, I've found that a
> > hang in yum is most often caused by an rpmdb lockup.
>
> When building in parallel, I often get hung yum processes even though
> they're running in completely separate chroot jails.  The hang,
> according to ltrace, occurs in the socket() system call.  Would this
> be an rpmdb lock, and if so, any thoughts on how best to prevent it?

I would suspect network rather than than rpmdb.  I don't thing rpm
uses any sub-processes that it could conceivably be connecting TO,
though?  Seth?  Are you using ftp or http?

If multiple people are having the same problem, I'd love to find out
more.  However, I'll need to be able to recreate it locally.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G