[Yum] Intermittent yum problems

Paul Dickson dickson at permanentmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:13:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:30:56 -0700, Nathan Grennan wrote:

>   I am having intermittent problems with yum on multiple computers at
> different times. I had this happen on a server before, and it seemed to
> go away on it's own. I have tried cleaning out, ( rm -
> rf /var/cache/yum/* ) /var/cache/yum without results. I am using the
> same configuration files on other servers that work just fine at the
> same time I am having a problem on one server. I have compared the
> md5sums, and run rpm -V yum. I am using my own rpm for yum to include my
> own configuration file. Yum doesn't seem to be running in the background
> at the time to cause the problem. This last time it is on the server
> that runs the repository. So it should be talking to itself to download
> files. The version is yum-2.0.7-1.2.1 running on Fedora Core 2 servers.
> I did check for updated yum packages. I have attached the configuration
> file.
>
> [root at monitor ~]$ yum -y update
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 163, in main
>     (log, errorlog, filelog, conf, cmds) = parseCmdArgs(args)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 75, in parseCmdArgs
>     conf=yumconf(configfile=yumconffile)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 155, in __init__
>     self.yumvar['releasever'] = self._getsysver()
>   File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 291, in _getsysver
>     hdr = idx.next()
> StopIteration

I'm having the same problem.  The only fix that works is re-updating the
yum RPM (using --force):
  rpm -Uvh --force  /var/cache/yum/freshrpms-fc2/packages/yum-2.0.7-3.1.fc.fr.noarch.rpm

The badness is not from the python code being changed.  It's likely a
corrupt data file, but not /etc/yum.conf.

I seemed to have caused it again by pressing control-c while starting yum
(or it could just be that I interrupted yum before it could error).

The error occurs without any network traffice taking place (I traced it
with ethereal).

Below are three invocations of yum, the first interrupted by the control-c
that might be the problem.  Notice the third invocation uses a invalid yum
argument.

	-Paul

[root at violet 02:08:43 yum]# yum -C list updates
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 35, in ?
    from config import yumconf
  File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 17, in ?
    import ConfigParser
KeyboardInterrupt

[root at violet 23:48:20 yum]# yum  list updates
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 163, in main
    (log, errorlog, filelog, conf, cmds) = parseCmdArgs(args)
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 75, in parseCmdArgs
    conf=yumconf(configfile=yumconffile)
  File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.yumvar['releasever'] = self._getsysver()
  File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 291, in _getsysver
    hdr = idx.next()
StopIteration

[root at violet 23:48:31 yum]# yum  foo