[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 24 15:33:54 UTC 2004

On 10/21/2004 03:57:38 AM, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> I still think we're chasing the wrong goose trying to unite yum and
> bittorrent

Yes - especially since many networks block bt because it costs the
network money to allow it (the individual user isn't paying for
bandwidth, well, in most US cases anyway, but the university or other
ISP certainly is)

Don't be too surprised if blocking bt becomes the norm for home users,
just like blocking smtp and web servers often is the norm. It's
becoming expensive for ISP's to allow it due to the popularity of it.

A lot of schools block it largely because it is expensive and most
frequently used for illegal activity (copyright violation) which they
don't feel is in the best interests of their trustees or tax payers.

An even bigger issue though is that you never want to run bt as root
unless you have done a serious audit of the bt code, so yum would need
to switch users if called by root. It's fairly safe to run yum as root
now because it makes a connection to a _known_ server - and doesn't
offer connections to other machines.