[Yum] Problems using yum 2.0.7 on Linux redhat 9

Colin Bannister Colin.Bannister at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 14:58:44 UTC 2004

>>> Colin.Bannister at nottingham.ac.uk 19/10/2004 16:19:23 >>>

>> >what have you set it to?
>> >
>> >-sv
>>
>> # echo $http_proxy
>>
>> wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk:3128
>>
>> This setting has allowed the machine in question to do
>> a 'yum update' in the past, but after a recent package
>> installation that used 'yum' failed, I have not been able to
>> use yum again.

I have been working on a Fedora Core 1 Linux installation, and
have had similar problems with 'yum update' with
http_proxy  = wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk:3128

HOWEVER, if I set it to http://wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk:3128
all seems well.  It does seem that the yum python scripts assume
that the URL for the proxy has all the bits!

I wouldn't mind betting that when I did get it to work, I had set the
http_proxy in its complete form, but forgot this later.

I hope this observation might stop others from similar errors.

Colin

Dr. Colin Bannister
Research Development Group Leader
Information Services