[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

Jarret Raim jarito at lehigh.edu
Thu Oct 21 03:15:01 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
> The reason torrents work is b/c people leave their downloaders running.
> People implicitly do not want to leave their downloader running in this
> case. They want to udpate and get along with life.

Yum continue with its work as soon as the *download* is complete, just
like HTTP. The client uploaded runs in the background trying to maintain
the health of the swarm.

>>3 Doesn't seem like a terrible issue to me.  AFAICT Bittorrent has yet
>>to have a security problem identified in three years of the project
>>running - not a bad record.  I'm not as sure of Yum's history, but I
>>imagine it is good as well.  Clearly an audit of the two trees is a
>>good idea - fortunately this is a rather active group!
>

> Bittorrent hasn't had any security problems but bittorrent should not
> ever run as root. Yum has no choice but to run as root.

Amen. This is still a beta system. The client and server managers
already do not run as root, but right now the downloader spawned from
yum does, albeit for a short period of time. We plan to fix this.
Nothing but the very minimum will run as root.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Thanks,
Jarret Raim