[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

Jarret R jarito at lehigh.edu
Wed Oct 20 22:37:11 UTC 2004

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to the list, so pardon me if this is the wrong place to broach
>this subject.  I looked through the archives for a few months and
>didn't see anything on the subject.
>
>I have used yum and I like it. It keeps my servers updated with a minimal fuss.
>
>I have used Bittorrent and I like it.  It allows me to download very
>popular files without overtaxing the source of those files -
>OpenOffice, Mozilla, and Eclipse are all using it to move some of
>their bandwidth use to the people who benefit most from it.
>
>Sometimes, I have problems using yum mirrors because they are out of
>date to the reference server.  However if I point yum at the reference
>server it is usually too overtaxed to work well.
>
>Has anyone thought about using bittorrent seed files on the yum
>reference server and then making everyone that downloads that file a
>member of the bittorrent swarm?  It seems like a perfect marriage of
>two python projects.
>
>Thanks,
>Greg

A friend and I have been working on this and are getting close to a
public beta. Hold on for a week or two and we will have something for
you :). Our internal stuff is a success, we just need to clean up the
code and maybe get a real repository to help us as Lehigh University
doesn't really have the bandwidth to spend.

If anyone on the list is intersted in helping out, please post here,
email or IM me at jarito030506.

Thanks,
Jarret Raim
jarito AT lehigh DOT edu