[Yum] Problems using yum 2.0.7 on Linux redhat 9

Colin Bannister Colin.Bannister at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 15:19:23 UTC 2004

>> >what have you set it to?
>> >
>> >-sv
>>
>> # echo $http_proxy
>>
>> wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk:3128
>>
>> This setting has allowed the machine in question to do
>> a 'yum update' in the past, but after a recent package
>> installation that used 'yum' failed, I have not been able to
>> use yum again.
>
>which package(s) failed on update?
>
>-sv

I have been trying to install the VDC (http://thedata.org/) which uses
yum.  First I used version 1.0, and when this failed, 1.0.1.
It checks and potentially installs/updates a great many packages.

The last attempted install of v 1.0 gave:

[root at rntlinux1 VDC-1.0.RedHat.9]# sh ./installVDC.sh

Checking for yum installation...done

Downloading RPM headers (please be patient)...done
Removing old cache directory...done
Installing a local yum channel for this VDC release...done
Running yum for package installation...
Server: JPackage 1.5 Channel
Server: JPackage 1.5 for Red Hat Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 base
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 updates
Server: VDC Dep Channel 9
Server: VDC Release Channel
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
........Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package VDC needs ant =3D 1.5.4-2jpp, this is not available.
Package ant-optional-full needs ant =3D 0:1.5.4-2jpp, this is not available.

I tried installing ant manually, with no effect.
With VDC 1.0.1 I get the same error message as with 'yum update'
then a huge number of messages about being unable to download packages, and
then missing dependencies as the procedure tries to install the VDC software.
(see below)

Colin

Checking for yum installation...done

Downloading RPM headers (please be patient)...Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 233, in main
    clientStuff.get_package_info_from_servers(serverlist, HeaderInfo)
  File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 846, in get_package_info_from_servers
    progress_obj=None)
  File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 1327, in grab
    bandwidth, conf.retries, retrycodes, checkfunc)
  File "/usr/share/yum/urlgrabber.py", line 237, in retrygrab
    progress_obj, throttle, bandwidth)
  File "/usr/share/yum/urlgrabber.py", line 314, in urlgrab
    fo = urllib2.urlopen(url)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 138, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 322, in open
    '_open', req)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 301, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 450, in <lambda>
    lambda r, proxy=url, type=type, meth=self.proxy_open: \
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 457, in proxy_open
    if '@' in host:
TypeError: iterable argument required
done
Removing old cache directory...done
Installing a local yum channel for this VDC release...done
Running yum for package installation...
Cannot download http://up2date.hmdc.harvard.edu/yum-rep/redhat/linux/9/headers/xmms-1-1.2.7-21.p.i386.hdr in caching only mode or when running as non-root user.
Deleting entry from Available packages
Cannot download http://up2date.hmdc.harvard.edu/yum-rep/redhat/linux/9/headers/lesstif-devel-0-0.93.36-3.i386.hdr in caching only mode or when running as non-root user.