[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Oct 19 14:39:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:33:09PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote :
> > Anyway, changing a vital component like the metadata format of any
> > repo will require a transition phase, unless you consider only future
> > to come repos to use the new metadata format, where you don't need to
> > care about backwards compatibility. If you don't hint to a solution,
> > you will find that the repos will invent wild renaming schemes that
> > will make you far more unhappier than the current discussion.
>
> Hmm, "changing the metadata format", no, "adding the new metadata format"
> is what should happen. All of ayo.freshrpms.net works with apt, yum 2.0.x
> and also has the new metadata ever since createrepo 0.3.something came out.
> The transition is as smooth as it can be since the same URLs work
> transparently with yum 2.0.x and 2.1.x... I really don't see how easier it
> can get? Could you please explain a bit more in details in case I'm missing
> something?

Already done a few thread steps above (requoted the part). It's not
server-side, that's easy. It's ensuring that the client side will
work, and also that it won't break all repos. If freshrpms upgrades
yum to yum-2.1.x or yum-2.2, a lot of freshrpms users will find that
their other "old" yum repos are dead, and they won't have a handle to
use them.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net