[Yum] Re: yum install -force package

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Thu Oct 7 21:08:12 UTC 2004

Thanks, Garrick. If I have learned from this, your suggestion would
remove the package from the database, without removing the kernel itself
(no change to the filesystem) and would also remove no dependencies. The
procedure I used, at Seth's suggestion, would remove all dependencies
and actually remove the stuff from the filesystem.

If I had a package that was partially working and I wanted to replace it
without first destroying it - something that all us timid folk prefer to
do - your suggestion would be the smart thing to do, short of not
getting into the situation in the first place. Since my kernel was not
installed and had no dependencies, there was no risk here of doing as
Seth suggested and burning the whole thing.

Since I am once again e-mailing from my formerly crippled YDL Mac, I
think we can safely say that it worked.

Thanks again.

Olaf