[Yum] Strange kernel package behavior with 2.1.4

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Oct 4 15:48:41 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote :

> > Makes sense, but isn't incompatible with what I said : If the arch
> > isn't explicitly given, then exactarch could (should?) be considered.
> > Typically, if you "yum install" an installonlypkg for which exactarch
> > is true and for which an arch (to override) isn't given on the command
> > line, then yum should say that the latest version is already installed
> > even if there is a more recent package available which is of a
> > different arch, shouldn't it? I hope this is what you mean by fixing it
> > either way.
>
> What would exactarch compare to if nothing else was installed?

Then wouldn't it just pick the best matching arch for the current system
and "start from there"? In my sense, exactarch is only an extra layer of
protection against incompatible upgrades of installed packages. In general,
if you install (and not upgrade) an incompatible package, it can't do much
harm and can easily be removed.

> The right fix is to make sure the behavior is the same for yum 2.1.X as
> is yum 2.0.X

Sure, but I don't know by heart what 2.0.x does in most situation, unlike
you I guess :-)

> > Thanks for the quick answers, it's the first time I've been using 2.1.x
> > to upgrade a whole system on a fast (P4) computer, and it does feel
> > much faster than 2.0.x, unlike on my test PII 400 :-)
>
> Icon did some good work this last week to help that problem. In short,
> yum will parse the xml files and write out a pickle file (if it is run
> as root) then it will mark the pickle with a checksum
> So the next time you need to read in that metadata, if the time repodata
> hasn't changed it will just read in the pickle which is an order of
> magnitude faster than the xml read-in.

Nifty! Is that already in 2.1.5 that you just released or will it go in
later on?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521.dell
Load : 1.57 1.42 1.38