[Yum] Re: yum update problem with biarch (i686/x86_64)

Christopher Allen Wing wingc at engin.umich.edu
Tue Nov 30 21:59:21 UTC 2004

(sorry, I'm not subscribed to the list; I'm responding from the web
archive)

I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. I made a yum repository out of the
original ISO images, and another repository containing various updates,
etc.

yum works great in general, and has been fine for the most part on x86_64;
the only problem I've run into in the past is the inability to specify a
particular architecture for a package in a yumgroups.xml file (though
that's just a limitation of the XML format used by Red Hat). Instead, I do
a manual 'yum install' if I need to specify a particular architecture
type.

In this particular case, I had installed both the i686 and the x86_64
glibc at the same time. yum only wants to update the x86_64 version when I
tell it to 'yum update'.

I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that the same package name was
installed twice (once for each architecture).

I can try reproducing it on a non-RHEL machine at some point; I don't have
one set up at the moment for testing but I guess a test case would be a
Fedora x86_64 box attempting to upgrade glibc, when both the i386 and
x86_64 glibc RPMs are installed. It should upgrade both simultaneously, if
not then it will fail like it does for me.

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc at engin.umich.edu