[Yum] Yum exactarch flag not working right

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Wed Nov 17 21:53:00 UTC 2004

I noticed a problem installing thunderbird onto my system today using yum
install. It wanted to install both the i386 and x86_64 packages instead of
just the x86_64 package. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I have exactarch=0 so I can install i386 packages if I wish but if I don't
specific the arch it should install the x86_64 package because my system is
x86_64. It definitely shouldn't be installing both.

My recommendation is to deprecate exactarch and to have yum work the following
way.

1) if you update packages that in installs the same arch(es) as is already
installed.

2)  If I install a package it should install just the basearch package unless
told otherwise by the .arch extension. An additional extension (.all) can be
used to may yum install all available arches.

This should cover every situation that I can think of.

Mark Lane, CET -- mailto:mark at harddata.com
Sales Manager -- Hard Data Ltd -- http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771 -- F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our New Dual and 4 Way Blade Servers <--