[Yum] Re: Usernames, Passwords and yum

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon May 31 21:59:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Nathanael Noblet wrote:

> On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 01:57 PM, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to get yum to use an ftp based repository that is not
> > publicly
> > accessible. As a result I need to pass a username and passwd to the ftp
> > server. Does anyone know how to get yum to do this? There does not
> > seem to be
> > anything in the docs about this.
>
> This is a guess & assumption, yum uses a 3rd party software package to
> talk http/ftp I would guess you can do
> ftp://username:password@site/path

Yes, it turns out that works. I originally thought it did not but I tried it
again and once I corrected a typo it worked. Now the only problem is how to
hide the passwd. I realize one could just sniff the passwd anyway but is there
a way to not give it away by simply running yum? When the failover mechanism
kicks in it prints the username and passwd. :-(

Regards,

Tom