[Yum] possible bug

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri May 28 17:24:24 UTC 2004

Hello,
    Before I submit a bug report I figured I'd email the list with the
problem I am experiencing. I have a system recently installed
(Tao-linux->RHEL 3.0 clone). Everything works normally as far as I can
see. My problem comes from the fact that I want a new version of MySQL
installed. I grabbed the official MySQL src rpms (4.0.18, and 4.0.20).
Recompiled and installed via rpm -Uvh. No problems. Now when I do a yum
update I get

... MySQL-Max requires MySQL >= 4.0

When it tries to do an update. The thing is I also recently migrated
all 6 servers to this platform, and once they were installed, added my
custom yum repository containing these compiled MySQL and a few other
packages I needed. and installed them through yum by doing

yum install MySQL-shared MySQL-server... etc.

So for some reason it can resolve those dependancies on the rpm -Uvh
install, and from a yum install (at least as far as I remember, it has
been awhile so perhaps it didn't work there either I am current
checking that). So I think there is a bug somewhere with this. I
submitted a bug report to MySQL about the possibility of a problem in
the spec file. The thing that makes me think this is a yum problem is
that I can rpm -Uvh or rpm -i the files fine, and all dependancies are
met. Only yum update has a problem.

One more thing. I took the spec file and did 2 things, once tried
adding the requires to one of the packages. This didn't fix it.
Removing the requirement made yum happy. BUT what happened after that
was that it wanted to get the original mysql-3.2.x packages from the
distros repo, so wasn't seeing the version numbers or something. I
realize that this is case sensitive, but the mysql spec file contains
both mysql and MySQL sections.

So I'm left wondering where the problem is. I figure it is a
combination of spec file and yum (based on the fact that rpm -i doesn't
complain)

System Specs:
yum-2.0.5
yum-2.0.7 (I upgraded & tried again before posting)
rpm -q rpm = 4.2.2-0.14
uname -a = Linux 2.4.21-15smp #1 SMP Sun May 16 14:56:07 EDT 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Hope that gives you atleast enough information as a start. I'm willing
to do everything I can to track down the true source of the problem and
get it fixed.
--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions