[Yum] Re: pkgpolicy=(newest)|first|last by repo order in .conf

Cymon J. Cox cymon at duke.edu
Thu May 27 19:08:35 UTC 2004

[Apologies for messing the thread - I wasn't subscribed to the list...]

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:52, Cymon J. Cox wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Seeing as this has been discussed many times I'll get to the point: has
>> anyone considered poking an ordered dictionary through to ConfigParser?
>> Apart from touching a supposed private attribute (which I can live
>> with), this would seem to be a simple solution...

[and Seth Vidal replied]
>Doesn't really work for the new config stuff that's in cvs-HEAD b/c the
>new config supports a yum.conf.d directory of repos.
>
>the directory entries could be named anything and sort order for getting
>them is whatever order the dir list is in.
>
>Better to sort by something the user has more control over - the repo
>id.

Of course, a directory of rep.conf's should be prioritised (-able) by a
user defined repo-id, but isnt this a separate issue?

The prioritising of repos in a single .conf is still 'newest|alphabetical
last', when I'm sure the user expectation is that a higher priority would
be afforded those repos listed first (or at least be an option).
'Alphabetical last' makes no sense from a user standpoint - apart from
the nasty hack of prefixing the repo name with a numeral.

Unless I'm missing something (and I havent read the cvs code), a
serverlist ordered by repoconfid then by repo-stanza position would still
make more sense to the user here than the current implementation.

Cheers, C.
--
Cymon J. Cox <cymon at duke.edu>