[Yum] Old problem

Zhu Wang zhuw at mail.smu.edu
Fri May 21 23:20:58 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
>>1. yum install some packages without removing the appropriate old package.>>>>
2. yum successfully downloaded but did not install some other packages.>>>>
I have had some intermittent internet weirdness during yum updates. But, >>
I _think_ I was always able to ^C out of yum and wait until later. I >>
couldn't say for sure if that includes my one bad run.>>>>
I'm pretty sure that yum update was run from the local console. Probably
>>via "su -" to get a root window in KDE.
> 1. I can't replicate this behavior at all
> 2. I don't have anyone else replicating this
> > so I need some more info:> 1. can you make this happen on any other machine?
> 2. can you send me an rpm -qa | sort - preferably into bugzilla.

I also has the same problem, although I don't bother with it just simple
remove the older version by hand.
the strange thing that I only use yum, so there has to be a moment when
yum install the newer version without remove the older (ie. rpm install
not update), but I assume it just my problem. but this happend exactly
with the above packages!

I have the same problem. I believe it is because I accidentally
shut down the computer and the installation has not finished yet. As a result,
it seems that every file has a brother/sister! So older version files were not
erased. In the mean time it seems the updated kernel 2.6 does not work better
than the old one 2.4.22, e.g., CD-ROM is not recognized, which maybe due to my
installation problem. But running yum upgrade does not find any action needed.
However, running the kernel 2.4.22 is fine. Maybe I can use yum correctly next
time, then yum will remove all old versions!

--
Zhu Wang