[Yum] Building a liveCD with yum

Aaron Klingaman alk at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed May 19 21:01:49 UTC 2004

What I do to get things running on a system without rpm is (redhat 9):

start with the following files from these rpms.

bzip2-libs-1.0.2-8.i386.rpm
    /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
    /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.2

elfutils-libelf-0.76-3.i386.rpm
    /usr/lib/libelf-0.76.so
    /usr/lib/libelf.so.1

glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm
   (pretty much everything except documentation)

popt-1.8-0.69.i386.rpm
   (pretty much everything except documentation)

rpm-4.2-1.i386.rpm
   (pretty much everything except documentation)

I have a script that uses rpm2cpio to exract all these files into 1 tarball.
This is only done once, and uploaded somewhere where the machines can
download it.

Then, you just untar the tar ball and you can run rpm chrooted from that
directory - which is then enough to:
rpm --initdb
rpm -i python, rpm, yum, any dependencies

Then, you can run yum groupinstall and its downhill from there. :)

Of course, if your boot/live cd has rpm, this is much easier.

Aaron