[Yum] Configure yum with FTP proxy NOT HTTP proxy.

Johnstone, Andy Andy.Johnstone at parliament.sa.gov.au
Mon May 10 00:22:11 UTC 2004

Hi people,

I am trying to use yum with Fedora Core 1 and I am behind FTP and HTTP
proxies and a firewall.

I note the final entry in the man page:

Proxy configuration

              If you would like to use a proxy with yum you can simply
set  a
              shell  environment variable of http_proxy. Set it to the
url for
              your proxy.  Ex: "http://your_proxy:port/"

This variable has been set by adding a line to .bashrc as follows:

export http_proxy=http://[actual http proxy url removed from here]:80

and have confirmed that this variable is set after logging in as root.

I have also tried setting this variable to point to the FTP proxy.

I am trying to use yum with local (Australian) FTP servers and have
confirmed that I have access to these servers.

My best guess is that yum is trying to open FTP ports on the HTTP proxy,
but I cannot access this device to confirm...

Can anyone offer any further assistance?

Copy of yum error follows:

[root at localhost root]# yum check-update
Server: Fedora Linux Core 1 (i386) Netcraft
retrygrab() failed for:

ftp://ftp.netcraft.com.au/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header
.info
  Executing failover method
failover: out of servers to try
Error getting file
ftp://ftp.netcraft.com.au/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header
.info
[Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] (110, 'Connection timed out')
[root at localhost root]#