[Yum] Success with yum-20040416, and a request

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed May 5 15:15:35 UTC 2004

> Does this code also work for installing rpms differently on the regular
> 32 bit arches?  For example if I have kernel-smp for i586 installed, but
> my personal yum repository has kernel modules rpms for all arches (i386,
> i586, i686, x86_64, ia64), will it choose the rpm that is also i586 and
> not i686 or something else?

it will choose the arch that is best for your platform. If your system
is an i686 and you've installed a i586 kernel then it will probably
choose i686 for the modules. If it's an actual i586 and archscores that
way then it will install the right modules for your arch.

in short, it will try to do the right thing, but there are ways the user
can make the right thing very, very difficult to do.  :)